[rescue] DECstation 5000

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Jul 16 13:45:11 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Tim H. wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:49:08 -0400
> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
> >   Well, NT was developed on those machines, if memory serves.  But
> > we'll hunt you down and kill you if you so much as express interest in
> > running NT on that machine.
> >
> >         -Dave

NT was developed on MIPS magnums, which were a reference design produced
by a partnership between MIPS and M$ (yup M$ actually did part of the HW
design...). They were the machines that were supposed to get the ARC going
until manufacturers could get their own designs on the market, I think
only Acer and Olivetti did release actual machines on the field (EISA R4K
based systems).

Funniest thing is that NT had 0 Intel code on the beginning, now it has 0
MIPS code. Then again I don;t know why any company would go to bed with
M$. here are a few companies that moved to NT, because it somehow made
sense at the time. And they are ALL gone

DEC -> gone
Intergraph -> gone
SGI -> almost gone

NT is like the kiss of death.... yet people still fall for it.