[rescue] PC v. PeeCees? (was: IBM hard disk)

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Sat Jul 13 14:28:39 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 02:24:48AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On July 12, Michael Hansen wrote:
> > >Sometimes people have to get PCs, I sell them like how I'd like to buy them,
> > >and support them like my own.  It's still a PC, but it doesn't need to act
> > >like one.
> >
> > Well, I suppose there are PCs and PeeCees.
> > I do not reject the idea that the right
> > well-debugged PC hardware can be useful.
>
>   Sure, and that makes perfect sense.  But doesn't it make even MORE
> sense to use hardware that works right the first time around, without
> the need for that debugging effort?

I would love to use Sparc64/OpenBSD (or even Sparc32) to run my
AOLserver processes (aolserver.com).  In spite of the name it is
actually very good software.  But the threading libraries doesn't work
and the program dumps core.  It does run fine under OpenBSD/x86
though.

This will get me flamed, but Solaris is not that great from a
run-lots-of-GNU-software perspective - I essentially have to install a
parallel environment to get things working right.

Solutions sell hardware.  Being properly debugged the first time is
only part of the solution.  FWIW OpenBSD runs smooth and fast on the
crappy low end Athlon boards I use.

If a guru can help me get AOLserver running on Sparc32 or Sparc64
versions of NetBSD or OpenBSD, I am all ears...

./patrick