[rescue] Solaris WAVElan/Orinoco support

Al Potter apotter at icsa.net
Thu Jan 31 15:14:49 CST 2002

wonko at arkham.ws said:
> now, i need an Orinoco card and a nice antenna for it. any suggestions
> on a kick ass omni-direction antenna so i can make a nice base
> station?

A couple of pointers:

- If you're going to layer a VPN on top of the WEP security, are not
concerned about the security at all, or are confident that the IEEE is going
to issue an enhancement to the 802.11 spec which offers a fix for the legacy
equipment, then don't waste money on the "gold" card.  The silvers are
around for ~$50...

- Orinoco makes an omni that hooks up directly, cost is around $75-80 IIRC.
Almost any other solution is going to require an adaptor pigtail for the
connector, which will set you back at least $20 on top of the antenna.  Go
with the Orinoco.

- Access points are under $200 new, and can be had on ebay cheaper.  I am
not aware of any free access point software (other than the project to blow
linux-based firmware into SMC/Addtran APs).  You can do a small network in
ad-hoc mode, but it does not scale, will almost always dictate putting te
wireless on its own subnet, etc.

Hope this Helps....

AL