[rescue] OpenBSD

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jan 30 22:30:50 CST 2002

On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 10:02 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On January 30, Paul Sladen wrote:
>> Indeed, a few obessed NetBSD developers had fight, and threw someone
>> out.
>> Said Theo then went away and knocked up something to take the piss out
>> of
>> his `former employers'.
>>
>> I'm not sure if NetBSD has improved much over the last five
>> years--[information welcomed].  OpenBSD clearly has.
>
>   Yes, it has...tremendously.  Take a peek at http://www.netbsd.org.
>
>     -Dave

It still isn't great on 68K.  I tried swapping out every piece of
hardware I own for my Quadra with duplicates and other known working
systems and boards.  I even re-downloaded everything in case the iso was
bad.  NetBSD 1.5.2 refused to install properly on the Quadra, so I went
back to Linux (Debian 2.2r3), which had been crashing randomly.  It's
now stable after switching the kernel to the 2.2.20 version available on
Source Forge.

The error for NetBSD was a reproduceable same-spot "can't find block in
cylinder group"  in the installer... alloccgblk at inode 68 mostly...(no
the "disks" weren't bad...)

Worked on it for 3 days before I went back to Linux.  Worked on Linux
previously for about 5 days. (amidst crashes)

Andrew