[rescue] Re: sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 30 17:39:00 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 03:00:56AM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > Supposedly IA-64 will also be able to run PA-RISC code natively, that is
> > why in theory they are phasing out PA-RISC. So I dunno if HP-sUX can run
> > off the box in the IA-64. Which BTW must be the most delayed commercial
> > product ever, I still have magazines that claimed that the chip was
> > expected in late '97!!! So this is what... 5 yrs late?
>
> Supposedly?  You know, one has been able to order Itanium machines from SGI
> among others for some time now.  Compaq doesn't seem to sell Itaniums.  HP
> does (the i2000).  So, perhaps it is time for some real answers about what
> it can and can't do.  SGI sells them running linux, BTW.  HP sells them
> running Windows XP, linux, and HP-UX (HP-UX and XP are both included, linux
> you have to supply yourself).

My bad then, I guess I should get out of the lab more often.... :-)

Well the SGI and the HP are both the same machine, we still have some
Itaniums but we are under NDA (our machines look exactly like the SGI, at
least the case seems to be generic... because when I visited NCSA their
itanium cluster also used the same cases, they also had quad-itanium
machines over there). Since Intel still hasn't told us to make the
results/test public I assumed that they were not readily avaliable, I was
assuming that intel wanted to let this slide and wait until HP comes with
the 2nd generation. Plus intel has anounced they want to extend x86 to
64bit.

I must make a disclaimer here, as I am in no way speaking for my employer!
(just in case they have mail filters here, I am a bit paranoid when it
comes to stuff that I have signed).