[rescue] OT: vxvm for linux?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Jan 30 13:33:23 CST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 11:31, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:
> I signed up for the beta program a year ago and never heard anything.
> Did anyone else get a copy of this?  I'd really like to try and break
> it.

I just got this from elsewhere today (probably linuxmanagers,
actually)...

For those of you who were waiting for Veritas to release Foundation Suite
for linux, its here!

This makes me so happy!

http://www.veritas.com/news/press/PressReleaseDetail.jhtml?NewsId=9483

Press Release: For Immediate Release

VERITAS Storage Virtualization Platform Helps Linux Servers Address
Demanding Enterprise Requirements

VERITAS Foundation Suite, the industry's leading storage virtualization
platform, is now available for Red Hat Linux

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.- January 30, 2002 - VERITAS Software Corporation
(Nasdaq: VRTS) today announced that VERITAS Foundation Suite, the
industry's leading storage virtualization platform, now supports Red Hat
Linux. The VERITAS Software storage virtualization platform uses online
storage management and file system technology to optimize storage hardware
usage and to simplify administration of multi-platform environments. This
enables companies to manage more storage with fewer resources, and to
improve return on investment through increased application availability
and productivity With this release, VERITAS Software brings the leading
storage management solution for UNIX environments to the Linux platform,
enabling Linux servers to better handle the most demanding, data-intensive
applications.

"Linux was the fastest growing server operating environment in 1999, 2000
and is very likely to be in a similar position in 2001," said Dan
Kusnetzky, IDC's vice president of system software research. "As Linux
moves into the mainstream in more markets, storage virtualization
technology, such as VERITAS Foundation Suite, becomes increasingly
important. Organizations planning to use Linux as a platform for more
demanding IT infrastructure roles would be well advised to evaluate this
type of software."

VERITAS Foundation Suite combines file system and volume management
technologies to create a powerful management platform for enterprise
storage and storage area network environments. Well-established in UNIX
environments, this hardware-independent solution offers performance-tuning
capabilities and sophisticated management tools that are now available to
ensure the continuous availability of databases, applications and other
resources running on Linux servers. The VERITAS FlashSnap option, also
available with this release, offers efficient, point-in-time copies of
data that can support data analysis, reporting, backup and testing,
without impacting production applications.

"Our customers are looking for ways to leverage the cost/performance
benefits of Linux in more of their IT infrastructure, and VERITAS
Foundation Suite will help them do that," said Matthew Szulik, president
and CEO, Red Hat, Inc. "Companies already using the VERITAS Foundation
Suite can now manage storage across all of their Unix servers, including
Red Hat Linux. And VERITAS Software's hardware-independent storage
software gives our customers the freedom to choose and change storage
hardware, especially as VERITAS Software makes future releases available
on Red Hat Linux Advanced Server, a version of Red Hat Linux optimized to
host enterprise application on 4 to 8 SMP Intel systems."

VERITAS Foundation Suite joins VERITAS Software's industry leading data
protection solution, VERITAS NetBackup, in support of the Linux operating
system. The company plans to bring its high availability clustering
solutions to the Linux enterprise market later this year.

Pricing and Availability

VERITAS Foundation Suite 1.1 for Linux is available immediately, with
pricing starting at $1,500 per single-CPU server. VERITAS FlashSnap, a
separately licensed option, is also available immediately, with pricing
starting at $750. VERITAS Foundation Suite supports Red Hat Linux 7.2
Standard Edition, and selected prior versions of Red Hat Linux 7.1Errata.

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.