USB Audio - was Re: [rescue] SGI Fuel

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Wed Jan 30 13:17:48 CST 2002

> > out something like the TI TUSB-3200.

Yes, very nice. Are these plug-and-play with Windows? I've worked with Philips
UDA1325 and the boards could be tested by plugging them into a PC and the
device instantly was recognized as audio device and could play sound. The only
problem was getting samples of the chips from Philips.

> > They also have lots of DAC's and
> > monolithic amplifier chips (yeah, they're probably not as good as a
> > high-end receiver. i'm poor.).

Just do as the high-end audio folk do (real-life example).  "Yeah, our thingy
[1] can do 100dB and has a distortion rate of 0.001%, it says so in the
datasheet of the usb-chip we used". Luckily the final testing was done by ear
instead of distorion meters, so it passed the test with flying colors.

> > Best part - free samples :) worst part -

 I remember TI took 8 days or so for samples? Maxim takes only 3, too bad I
have to wait that long :(. Also order a TUSB2046, since they're free. Does TI
have more nice chips? I remember something of an ESD protection device for the
USB we used, 72340?.

> > damn those pins are close together :(

 Practic, practice, practice... It's not that hard.

> > My uninformed and ignorant opinion
> > is that USB for high-end audio should be as good as S/PDIF, and a *lot*
> > cheaper - higher-volume parts runs and no extra card in computer, can
> > connect lotsa devices, etc...
>
> You'll end up with something like this...
>
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/electronics/5756.shtml

 Uhh, avoid anything that is advertised as "stereophile"? Might be interesting
to see what IC's they used for this, does anyone know?

  regards,
   Michiel

[1] not marketed as such