[rescue] fbsd hangs/linux savecore?

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Wed Jan 30 13:22:47 CST 2002

late reply... note, never go a couple days w/o reading this
list...you'll have 500 messages to catch up on :)  but i'm waiting on a
backup so free time galore.

It's rumored that around Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:08:22AM +0000
Kris Kirby <kris at catonic.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:
> > reason i switched from fbsd on my desktop:  i have some shitty hardware
> > that was given to me...don't recall the manufacturer since i didn't buy
> > it...but it's a popular board..dual celeron 500 with a high point
> > technologies ide controller?  for some reason the string BP6 comes to
> > mind...but i don't recall the manufacturer.  anyway, fbsd would have
> > hard lockups _all the goddamn time_ after going from 3-4.. the APIC on
> > this board blows...but the linux kernel seems to handle it a lot better
> > (at that time when i converted, it's still dual boot but i haven't uped
> > fbsd).  the linux kernel will just spit out an error on the apic and not
> > hang..most the time.  every once and a while it will if i'm doing too
> > many things..like mp3s and tv and a dvd then open an app..  if there was
> > sound coming out of the card at that point it gets stuck in a happy
> > dma/irq loop...  the dma seems to write the sample in repeat because the
> > soundcard interrupt hasn't acked..but i'm not good with device drivers.
>
> I didn't have any lockups until I upgraded from 4.2-R to 4.3-S. Then xmms
> + gaim locks it up. Yes, it's a BP6; the APIC has issues -- damn near
> every card I have in the machine needs an interrupt -- and will not share.

So has 4.4 fixed it or is 4.5 out yet?  a friend of mine said he's also
have some usb issues so then my palm wouldn't sync...

thanks for confirming it though, atleast I know i'm not insane.

also one thing i've asked several friends and can't find an answer too:
anyway to make linux savecore when it goes to shit?  i has to be
possible, i just can't find how to do it.  anyone out there have any
idea how?

^D