[rescue] SGI Fuel

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Wed Jan 30 01:33:26 CST 2002

"Jonathan C. Patschke" wrote:

> > So, wadda ya think? :-)
>
> Oooooh.  Shiiiny.  The name stinks, though.

Aaaw, come on. :-)
You like other namings, like PW340G2, 3200, bla bla bla. Man, I get sick
of all these marketing waggots, trying to come up with braindead
numberings on different computer models. When SGI went "SGI" (not
Silicon Graphics), things like this happened.

Heck, the names O2, Indigo, Octane, Onyx, Crimson, Origin, I love'em
all. It definitly kicks Major Butt(tm) to have one of these
purple/blue/green/whatever beasts sitting on your desk when a
Micro$oft-fan comes by and ask what it is.
"It's far beyond you imagination", I usually reply. :-)

"Fuel" to me is a straightforward follow-up naming from O2 and Octane.
I'm just waiting to see what the next name will be...

> > It looks nice to me, but I miss XIO...
>
> XIO's great, until you want to plunk down the cash for a new SCSI or
> Ethernet card.  Besides, this is a uniprocessor system; perhaps SGI have a
> higher-end cousin planned for it that will be multiprocessing and have
> XIO?

Probably. SGI states in it's press-release that "this is the first
step". I suspect something bigger is coming up in a not-so-distant
future.

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB