[rescue] Re: sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 30 01:26:46 CST 2002

On January 30, Harri Haataja wrote:
> >   Is it "going" somewhere?
>
> It's apparently going the way of Alpha.

Is it *really*, or is this a knee-jerk "it isn't microsoft, therefore
it's legacy" thing?

  There are a VERY LARGE NUMBER of VMS installations in the world
today.  We don't generally hear about them because they're not web
servers, used to do fancy graphics for movies, or sold at Best Buy.
Nor are they generally connected to the Internet.  And yes, there are
computers that do real work that aren't connected to the Internet.

  An operating system is a LOT harder to kill than a processor.  They
will have a tough time doing it, if they're even going to try any time
soon.

  And one other thing...yes, this has rapidly become a big pet peeve of
mine...they announced that the Alpha WILL BE discontinued IN A COUPLE
OF YEARS.  It's not discontinued NOW.  It's not "obsolete" (for
varying definitions of the word) NOW.  They haven't stopped selling it
NOW.  It's not "legacy" NOW.

  *grumble*

  And I'm on this list because the people here *know better*.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire