[rescue] SGI Fuel

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Wed Jan 30 01:09:28 CST 2002

Big Endian wrote:

> >http://www.sgi.com/workstations/fuel/
>
> Not bad.  Any idea on pricing for this thing? How do the graphics
> connect to the system?  Are the graphics interchangeable?  This seems
> to me more like an O2 replacement than an Octane replacement. I
> wonder what this will do to the used sgi market?  Will octane CPU
> modules/ram/cards come down in price?

Who said anything about a replacement? :-)
No really, the SGI guy I talked to about this last week told me that it
was supposed to be a somewhat "low-cost high-end workstation", placing
itself where the O2(+) is "to weak" and the Octane2 is to expensive.
Judging from the pressrelease this thing will start at $11,495 U.S list,
with 500MHz, 512MB and V10 gfx. V10 and V12 kicks some major butt(tm)
IMO.

"...today announced the first in a powerful new line of next-generation
workstation products."
Now that seems to me like this is the first big move for a new era, a'la
Octane/O2 replaced the earlier models.
(http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2002/january/fuel.html)

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards