[rescue] SGI: Booting Help (Personal Iris)

Dan Canaan flinters at picarefy.com
Tue Jan 29 23:09:13 CST 2002

Machine:  Personal Iris 4D/25
OS: Irix 5.3
Problem: Unable to get to single user mode

Getting to single user mode should be easy.  And by all accounts it really
is, but something is halting my progress.  I've got five 4D/25's and they
all fail in the same fashion.  They do a system check, look for name
servers which are not there (used systems), and eventually dump you at a
nice login screen.  Cool.  No way of getting the password though for root.

Okay, let's try getting into the menu/monitor system.  Power up, hit ESC
and we get the monitor.  Let's go into the last option, 5- command
monitor.  Cool.

Going to single user mode ('single') will start loading the file system,
failing on the superblock and recovers.  Eventually we'll get an option for
a run level- whatever that is.  0-5, plus S.  Huh.

Okay, let's try sash.  Hey, that works!  Unfortunately sash doesn't really
give you anything at all to work with.  I'm not sure what to do once I get
into that mode.  It can't load anything beyond that.

I refuse to believe all five machines failing in the same way are all
bad.  There's something I'm missing that is basic here.  I haven't even
gotten to the point where I need to or could change the root password as
the file system isn't fully mounted.  My goal would be to hook up an
external SCSI CD-ROM (512 byte mode) as ID 4 or something.  Then try going
to sash and booting to the CD-ROM. I *think* that may work, but so far even
getting a CD-ROM drive to be recognized has been tricky.

Suggestions?

-Vegaman Dan