[rescue] Re: Sparc Linux

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jan 29 22:05:53 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Paul Sladen wrote:

> *Very* well thankyouverymuch.  Here, on my main console machine;  and a few
> other machines.  I seem to remember that SuSE is basically `lets take the
> i386 install, and run it on sparc'--I seem to remember it asking me about
> PS/2 mice, 101 keyboards, and Matrox/ATI/Foo "videocards"... long time
> again;  once you switch to Debian, you'll never bother going anywhere else.

Well, believe it or not, I have a SPARC machine here that will take a PS/2
mouse, a 101 PS/2 keyboard, and probably some minute selection of ATI
video cards (it has a Raptor GFX now). So the questions aren't always as
silly as they sound, although most Sun users probably don't have OEM
machines.

It happens to be running Solaris when it's plugged in... but that's
neither here nor here.

--Rob (pondering a ss10 beowulf pile if he runs out of other
long-procrastinated projects :) )

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows