[rescue] 50-pin "Ultra SCSI" drives at bargain prices

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 29 21:30:22 CST 2002

Well, I certainly wouldn't pay $65 for a Ultra-Narrow
420MB drive--if in fact such a thing existed.  However,
Ultra-Narrow isn't impossible.  The theoretical limits are:
  10MBps - Fast (SCSI-2) Narrow
  20MBps - Fast (SCSI-2) Wide, or Ultra Narrow
  40MBps - Ultra Wide

See also http://www.scsita.org/terms/scsiterms.html
and http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SCSI.html

In fact, according to the first of those, "UltraSCSI"
implies "Narrow" unless Wide is specifically called out.

I do own several dual-channel UltraSCSI controllers
that have narrow connectors (either internally, externally,
or both).  At one point the difference between the Adaptec
2940U and the 2940UW was that the UW had 68-pin connectors
and was therefore worth something close to the astronomical
price being asked...while the 2940U only had 50-pin
connectors.  (I didn't buy either.)

Without exact serial/part number info it's hard to tell just
what that website is really stocking/offering, but
it's hard to find Fast/Narrow or Fast/Wide drives larger
than about 4.5GB, or >5400RPM, in my experience.  I've also
never seen an UltraSCSI (Wide or Narrow) drive smaller than 1GB.
I would say, therefore, that a 420MB Narrow UltraSCSI drive
is highly unlikely.

Just based on the pricing, whoever put that website together is
either unrealistic, or sitting on a goldmine of gullible Mac
folks.  $599 for an 18GB drive is ludicrous too.

ObRescue:  *Does* anyone out there actually have a wealth of
1GB-2GB 50-pin Fast SCSI disks available, or know of such?
I have systems whose disks are screeching, and although I
have adapters and SCA disks some of the cables don't want to
cooperate.

  --Rip