[rescue] SGI Fuel

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jan 29 11:42:35 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:14:10AM -0600, Scott Newell wrote:
> >So, wadda ya think? :-)
> >It looks nice to me, but I miss XIO...
> >
> >http://www.sgi.com/workstations/fuel/
>
> Seems to me that digital audio over USB is step down from S/PDIF.

Well, it seems to me that it depends on how many USB chanels you have.  You
can get nice stuff, including S/PDIF and AES/EBU ADC/DACs for USB, but you are
limited to up to 6 chanels of audio (16/44, not 24/96 or 24/192).  If it has
multiple USB chanels, then just put a few usb audio devices on.  Or, just
buy a PCI card (though drivers would be a pain until someone makes a sane,
straight forward card).

So, who wants to go into business making really kick butt audio cards cheaply?
I'm thinking a PCI card with a breakout box containing the ADC/DAC chips, and
a minimum of 6 chanels.  No fancy DSPs or anything like that.

--
Joshua D. Boyd