[rescue] sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 09:12:06 CST 2002

>On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:41:35PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>>  > Now if only I could find a good cross platform multitrack audio
>>  > program like that.
>>
>>  dream on.  nothing good in SGI land?  probably is, but costs like $5K for a
>>  copy.

What I'm looking for is a good post production/recording tool that
works both on macs (OS 9 or OS X) and IRIX.  Failing that I want one
for each platform that can read the other's format.  There are plenty
of programs for either platform.  I'm looking for one that does both.

>Actually, there is good free stuff.  There is csound.  Complex.  Probably
>not what you want, but still cool.

Yes it is, not what I want.

http://www.slabexchange.org/  Looks interesting.  Might do some of what I want.

>Well, I'm having trouble finding the other stuff, but I know it is out there.
>
>A number of the current batch of linux audio apps are ports from SGI.
>Unfortunately, every person who maintains a list of audio stuff for linux
>includes a link to a library for accessing irix audio files on linux, so
>it makes searching for irix audio applications hard.  The death of reality
>doesn't help either.

Isn't reality supposed to be coming back up later, off site and such?

>I know that an old issue of Linux Journal specifically pointed out several
>applications that came from Irix, but all my magazines are currently in
>storage.

If you find them email me.

>Well, continueing my searching, I see rt.  This appears to be something
>more oriented for say techno work rather than normal track work.  See
>http://silvertone.princeton.edu/winham/PPSK/rt.html It looks like
>dependencies might be a real pain though.

This isn't really what I'm looking for but it looks interesting.

>Also, check out: http://www.sgi.com/tech/faq/audio/public.html

already found it.

>Finally, I found one of the main thing I was looking for:  Multitrack.  Not
>to be confused by a linux program with the same name.  I thought I was
>losing my mind.  I kept seeing the linux proggy and thinking that it wasn't
>right.  See: ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/multitrack.  Oops.  This is binary only
>for irix 5.2.  Time to dig out an old I^2.

Looks nice... close to what I need but not quite.  I need some of the
non linear editing features that the mac programs have.  A non
linear, multi track editor, perhaps with some kuel 3d stuff on the
SGI like 5.1 spacial encoding or something.

>Lets see, what else.  Mix for irix.  This was from NoTam, but their website
>no longer refers to it.  NoTam used to have a bunch of cool software.

oh well.  I'm looking at slab now... looks nice.

>Wow.  I'm feeling really depressed about the state of irix innovation now.
>All the cool toys seem to have faded into history.

Very true.  I want one of those 3d filemanager thingies... if only
they had released source for this stuff.

>I'd be happy to code up some stuff if someone would send my a decent SGI
>(meaning Irix 6.5 and 128+ megs of ram.  Otherwise, even a Indigo or Indy
>would be fine).  If you like it, just send me a machine with better
>audio hardware for the more advanced tricks.  DM makes it easy.  I'll have
>to poke at this area when I get my own SGI (since I assuming that nobody
>really wants to give me one).

If you want some help I'd be glad to help w/ this (seeing as I'm
going to use it I should help).

daniel