[rescue] Gigabit ethernet - worth it?

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Tue Jan 29 00:31:43 CST 2002

"Fogg, James" wrote:

> 3) most hosts cannot really take advantage of gigabit. Sun Enterprises can
> come close, inter-switch links can, most others are a waste of money. A
> linux machine on top-end VALinux hardware cannot fully utilize gigabit
> links. In fact, casual network analysis shows it doesn't do better than
> 200mbs one way, and only in short bursts. Windows machines on top-end
> hardware don't even take full advantage of 100mbs copper, so forget it.

Uhm... Not that I defend Micro$oft products in any way, but I still have
to live with such beasts at my work. So far, I can't seem to figure out
where you've found that fact. Infact, tests running on a Compaq DL380-G2
(P-III 1.13GHz, 384MB RAM bla bla) running copper GigE and 10 hosts
running 100Mbit FullDuplex links came up with a much better result. We
bombarded the machine with those 10 concurrent hosts transfering
multiple gigabytes and so far we've come up to ~700-800mbps.
Ofcourse it's a disk array with 14 U2W-disks, 64bit/66MHz PCI GigE card,
Cisco (2924, 3548, 2912G) Ethernet switches but it's still far from
100mbps.

The Origin200 lives happily with 100mbps FullDuplex, serving several
Octanes in speeds totally outperforming FastEthernet-links.

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB