[rescue] mystery machine

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jan 28 23:00:06 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 07:34:04PM -0500, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> From: "Iggy Drougge" <optimus at canit.se>
> > I'd love more 1GB SCSI drives, having only got one. Besides, you can put a
> > useful BSD system on a 400 MB drive.
>
> Bah.  200MB.
>
> > If you've got more than one computer, you
> > don't really need more than one large hard drive, as you will want to do a
> lot
> > of network sharing anyway.
>
> Yep yep yep.
>
> But now I have the problem of having salvaged some 16GB-20GB drives and what
> I really need is like a huge RAID server for capturing TV shows to MPEG for
> later burning to CD-R.  :-)      The 20GB drives are too small for a decent
> CD collection archive to MP3 if you use higher sampling bitrates.
>
> On the workstation side, a gig or two is all I need.

Wow.  On the windows 98 stations and the linux station, 4 gigs feels cramped.
(I'm sorry about the windows guys.  One is my sisters machine.  The other is
for running PocketSmalltalk and Squeak.  PocketSmalltalk currently is GPLed,
but Windows only, and Squeak is just better supported under windows).

I do manage to make do with small disks in auxillary servers since they either
just don't need much (the NAT/firewall box) or they pull all data from the
file server (the boot server now, and probably the database server that I
want).

--
Joshua D. Boyd