[rescue] mystery machine

Iggy Drougge optimus at canit.se
Mon Jan 28 21:29:19 CST 2002

Christian J Hedemark skrev:

>From: "Iggy Drougge" <optimus at canit.se>
>> I'd love more 1GB SCSI drives, having only got one. Besides, you can put a
>> useful BSD system on a 400 MB drive.

>Bah.  200MB.

IME, with a bit of swap, you'll have the system there, but no much more. I've
had to cram NetBSD onto a 120 MB ESDI drive recently, and that machine isn't a
whole lot of fun to use. Of course, it will be a nice firewall, but you won't
cram a lot of packages onto it.

>> If you've got more than one computer, you
>> don't really need more than one large hard drive, as you will want to do a
>lot
>> of network sharing anyway.

>Yep yep yep.

>But now I have the problem of having salvaged some 16GB-20GB drives and what
>I really need is like a huge RAID server for capturing TV shows to MPEG for
>later burning to CD-R.  :-)      The 20GB drives are too small for a decent
>CD collection archive to MP3 if you use higher sampling bitrates.

Personally, I use that odd thing called a video recorder. It's a bit like a
tape backup drive, but you don't connect it to a computer. And it just
downloads the movies from some channels, but they're not IRC channels. Since
it plugs into a cable TV jack, I think it must contain some cable modem, too,
but it's quite automatic. Very handy.

As for RAID, have you tried any software equivalent, such as NetBSD's "ccd" or
RAIDframe?

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

About 15 years ago(in 1984), I played many time HYDLIDE like monkey's self-
acting! HaHaHa!! Here in Nippon(Japan), many many MSX Freak played HYDLIDE
1/2/3 on MSX1/2. Perhaps, also you like HYDLIDE series!!!
  K. Ikeda, MSX-Print