[rescue] Sparc Network Installation

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 28 10:50:26 CST 2002

[[Re: Installing $OS with only a network connection--no
  floppy or CD-ROM]]
> > A: Can be done.
> > B: Can be done over a cablemodem.
>
> He's in trouble - it can't be done.
Um.  Can't be done with only the one SPARC system.  It is
notionally possible to use a network-connected PC as
the rarpd/bootp server, and I'm guessing that the buyer
in question has access to a network-connected PC.  I sure
wouldn't want to try to sort out the cross-platform
netbooting issues though.

> Sure, you can install NetBSD directly off the NetBSD FTP site, but you
> need to boot the installer first.  If the only drive he has
> is the HD then
> that requires another computer running rarpd, tftpd, bootp,
> bootparamd &
> NFS to load the installer: the firmware wants rarpd; the
> installer, once
> loaded, wants bootp, bootparamd & NFS for the root file system.

If booting Solaris, and the local network has a properly
configured bootp server, and *somewhere* around there is
a properly configured install/jumpstart server, then it
would be do-able--potentially even over a cable modem.
(Bootp isn't routable, so it must be local--the other
parts of the install process can be done through routers/NAT)

> > Any tips? Otherwise I may have to have the friend send me
> his box so I
> > can drop an OS on it, unless they get a CD-ROM.
>
> Tell them to get a CD-ROM drive.  It's probably cheaper :)

In the end I would have to agree--a CD-ROM is both cheaper
and easier by far, as best I can tell for this situation.
Then again, it may be best to have the system shipped directly
to you, if the end user doesn't really want/need a CD
immediately.

Possibly helpful links:
Ending *soon*, but a stack of 5 2x drives that *should* be
Sun-bootable with the right jumper settings:
  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325422247
HDOutlet is selling new 32x Toshiba (Sun OEM) drives cheap too:
  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1326338674
This looks like one of the Toshiba 4x caddy-type drives which
can be made "Sun-bootable" (512-byte block) by cutting one
internal solder-bridge--this comes with a case, currently for $4:
  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325645394

...and remember that if all you need to do is get the system
booted from it, you don't need an external case/cables/terminator.
It should be entirely possible to open the system up and
connect the CD-ROM to the internal cabling.  The only hiccup
is for the lunchbox systems (IPX/IPC/LX/Classic) that only
have one internal SCSI connector.

Good luck--

  --Rip