[rescue] OpenBSD

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Jan 28 09:34:14 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > Yeah, I met Theo a couple of years ago at an AUUG conference and I got a
> > similar impression as when I met Richard Stallman; I thought all Open
> > Source gurus were full of themselves 'till I met Andrew Tridgell.  Who
> > cares anymore about the how or why, can we just judge these people by the
> > fruits of their labours?

>   Because in this case, the fruits are mostly those of OTHER PEOPLE'S
> labors.  The OpenBSD folk would have people believe they wrote (or
> REwrote) the whole damn operating system.  They didn't.

I haven't gotten that impression.  I've seen Theo regularly say outright
that he has lifted stuff from NetBSD.  Or mention that OpenBSD doesn't
have it yet because it hadn't been lifted from NetBSD yet.  What I have
seen them take credit for is their auditing and getting everything to
work.

I am actually also impressed with their 6 month release cycle.  How many
other open source projects manage to release a STABLE product every 6
months, on the dot.  Sure, OpenBSD might not make huge leaps every 6 months,
but maybe less feature creep is good =)

> > FWIW, Linux sucks for exactly this reason (although there are others too)
> > when you can put 10 Linux numptys in a room and none of them can share
> > anything because they all use different "distros".  Slackware, Debian,
> > Dead-Rat, Mandrake, Yellow Dog, ...just pick one people!
>
>   Yeah...that's really annoying.  Almost as annoying as the
> newly-coined world "distro". :-(  I think Linux is cool and all, but
> the one thing I can't stand about it is the fact that I've never seen
> two Linux systems that even remotely resemble each other.

Yeah.  I totally understand.  I'm a Debian weenie, and going to a Red Hat
box is a total shock.  And that's despite the fact that they supposedly
are SysV-ish.

--Kurt