[rescue] OpenBSD

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jan 28 09:23:09 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:12:57AM -0500, R. Lonstein wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 11:54:32PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>     [snip]
> > When I get my Ultra1, I plan to give OpenBSD/sparc64 a
> > try. NetBSD-current is supposed to be considered stable,
> > if I read the pages. That might be my second try, but the
> > virtually secure by default bit appeals to me.
>
> OpenBSD/sparc64 works great for me. Framebuffer support was flakey in
> 3.0-release but is supposedly getting better in current. I haven't
> checked as I'm using serial console.

I don't think my machine has a framebuffer.  I could though a TGX in it, but
I think my TGX is bad, and I don't have a compatible monitor anyway.  Which
is to say, I don't care about framebuffer support at the moment.

> > Of course, a lot depends on software compatibility, since
> > it is important to me to be able to use a good common lisp
> > (like clisp, but could use other) and a good r5s5 scheme
> > on it (possible scheme48 or scm). We shall see.
>
> In the ports tree are:
>     ANSI Common LISP http://clisp.cons.org/
>     Scheme R5 http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SCM.html
>
> The first won't build on Sparc64 or PowerPC. The second will.

At a minimum, GCL should work.  It seems kinda crude to me though.  I'd be
quite surprised if CMUCL worked.  One of the things I'm thinking of doing
though is using CL-HTTPD, so I need something decent.

--
Joshua D. Boyd