[rescue] OpenBSD

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jan 27 22:54:32 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 07:15:02PM -0800, Charles Redmond wrote:
> [demime could not interpret encoding binary - treating as plain text]
> There is one way that OpenBSD and NetBSD differ in userland..
> As of 1.5 I think  NetBSD now uses rc.d style stuff whereas OpenBSD
> is still rc.conf and rc.local.
>
> Also, for pmax hardware users 1.5 and beyond are totally too
> heavy for pmax to be of any "real" use. There is considerable
> traffic on the pmax lists over this over the previous 12 months.
>

> Finally OpenBSD/Vax is in some ways more advanced than the NetBSD/Vax
> port.
>
> I speak as a user of both systems. Personally I have a preference
> for OpenBSD on Sparc's and NetBSD on Alpha's. I have no idea of the
> useability of OpenBSD on Sparc Ultra hardware .. *yet*. :-)

When I get my Ultra1, I plan to give OpenBSD/sparc64 a try.  NetBSD-current is
supposed to be considered stable, if I read the pages.  That might be my
second try, but the virtually secure by default bit appeals to me.

Of course, a lot depends on software compatibility, since it is important to me
to be able to use a good common lisp (like clisp, but could use other) and a
good r5s5 scheme on it (possible scheme48 or scm).  We shall see.

--
Joshua D. Boyd