[rescue] Re: slack/debian note was sunpci cards

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Sun Jan 27 17:33:52 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:03:49PM -0500
Steve Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com> wrote:

> Try Slackware (the original) or Debian (supposed to be the most
> configurable if you have a clue).

quick note on this..i've used slack since like 95 or so and was
anti every other distro..that's just the way slack guys are...  it was
as close to a bsd feel as you could get in the linux world....i've
recently, like in the past 6 months, moved to debian and i love it.
slack's great if you want to compile everything everytime it's
updated..but debian's wonderful for being lazy and stable..i've
converted most of my boxes from slack over to deb do to my increased
laziness with age, and i'm only ...holy fuck... 25 or 26..i don't even
know.  wow, that's a revelation....  work == death.

but the point is if you like to tinker/recompile everything use
slack..otherwise use debian as it has a superior packaging system... i
don't know which i like more..sun's or debians.  I think I'm just not
familiar enough with the internals of debian's to appreciate it fully.

there's a project to move debians packaging to bsd ports as well...while
i liked ports..debian is even lazier.  anything to enhance my laziness.

^D