[rescue] Re: Gigabit ethernet - worth it?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jan 27 17:48:47 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:

> gige is good stuff.  fiber cables are relatively cheap nowadays too so
> no worries there.  as soon as i get Novak's netapp or build a new file
> server for home i'm converting all of my stuff over to gige.

Heh. You should be able to get gigE for the netapp pretty cheaply... find
a first-generation Sun PCI GigabitEthernet card (the one not supported
under Sparc Solaris 7 and later) and it should come up. When I did my last
failed install on the F330 (OS installed and then barfed when it saw
unsupported disks) it installed with the Sun gig interface as
default/primary ethernet.

I've been picking up long SC-SC cables lately, have 3 of them in the 10m
range that have cost me $15 each.

> that's why you wire with cat6 before hand ;)  not that much more
> expensive...not too many people make copper based 1000x cards tho...i
> think alteon was the only one i found..and i think they went under.

You can get Intel, Netgear, and I think Linksys pretty cheaply (under $500
for fiber or under $300 for copper I think, which compared to a current
Sun card is pocket change). Alteon was acquired by Nortel a year or two
back, and I'm not sure if they ever did a retail NIC... their chipset was
on at least the first Sun gigE SX card.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows