[rescue] Re: laptop drive adapter

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jan 27 13:27:57 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Scott Newell wrote:

> Has anyone seen a cheap source for adapter cables that will run a notebook
> IDE drive on a desktop machine?  I know that I've seen 'em before, but I
> can't remember where.

I can't speak for cables, but we just picked up a pcb-based adapter of
this sort for a coworker for a touch under $10 at Disk Depot/Dotcom Depot
in Sunnyvale CA. They do phone/email orders. Go to
http://www.diskdepot.com/productlist.html and click on "Adapters and
Controllers" at the bottom, you're probably looking for the part 2.5A.
It's also at http://www.diskdepot.com/ProductList_files/sheet008.htm if
you don't have javascript or whatever they use for that menu bar.

Hitechcafe.com has adapters with included rails, priced at $6.00. See
http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1&sku=MSC2%2E5ADA

There are probably other sources, but one of these two should work. I've
bought a lot from Disk Depot in person, never bought from hitech but heard
good things about them.

There are also 78 matches on ebay for "2.5 3.5" most of which are probably
what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows