[rescue] laptop drive adapter

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Jan 27 13:16:54 CST 2002

I've got an old 486 laptop at work (8MB ram, 200 MB drive, no nic, no
slots) that I'd like to put a very minimal OS on (freebsd, linux,
something).  The end result will hopefully be a small machine that can be
shipped to subcontractors so they can test out some embedded hardware with
GDB.  To that end, I need to get an OS on it!  My current plan is to stick
the drive on a desktop and do the install and setup on a much faster machine.

Has anyone seen a cheap source for adapter cables that will run a notebook
IDE drive on a desktop machine?  I know that I've seen 'em before, but I
can't remember where.

newell