[rescue] OpenBSD

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 27 11:45:25 CST 2002

On January 27, Robert Rose wrote:
> Yes, I've tried NetBSD but I am unimpressed when it can't even newfs a
> 800Mb filesystem without crashing during the install.  I'm impressed when

  Uhhhh...what?

  Ok.  I'm currently running NetBSD v1.2 thorugh v1.5.2, on SPARC and
Alpha, on a current total of sixteen constant-external-use machines in
three states.  I've had not so much as a burp with any of them, except
with an SS2's power supply went up in smoke on a very active machine
and scragged the filesystem.  I'm very curious about this crash of
yours.

> OpenBSD will cleanly fsck a Solaris file system when Solaris itself won't.

  Heh...where do you think it GOT that capability?  NetBSD could do
that before DeRaadt split off.  It's been there for years.

> Yeah, I met Theo a couple of years ago at an AUUG conference and I got a
> similar impression as when I met Richard Stallman; I thought all Open
> Source gurus were full of themselves 'till I met Andrew Tridgell.  Who
> cares anymore about the how or why, can we just judge these people by the
> fruits of their labours?

  Because in this case, the fruits are mostly those of OTHER PEOPLE'S
labors.  The OpenBSD folk would have people believe they wrote (or
REwrote) the whole damn operating system.  They didn't.

> FWIW, Linux sucks for exactly this reason (although there are others too)
> when you can put 10 Linux numptys in a room and none of them can share
> anything because they all use different "distros".  Slackware, Debian,
> Dead-Rat, Mandrake, Yellow Dog, ...just pick one people!

  Yeah...that's really annoying.  Almost as annoying as the
newly-coined world "distro". :-(  I think Linux is cool and all, but
the one thing I can't stand about it is the fact that I've never seen
two Linux systems that even remotely resemble each other.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire