[rescue] Re: OpenBSD

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jan 27 09:50:57 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Linc Fessenden wrote:

> > anything because they all use different "distros".  Slackware, Debian,
> > Dead-Rat, Mandrake, Yellow Dog, ...just pick one people!
>
> We did pick one - it's called using the source.  Works on every
> distro.  Imagine that.

Is there a feasible way to install Linux without a distribution? I'm
pretty sure you can't bootstrap from pure source, unless your BIOS is much
more powerful than anything I've ever used.

I guess the closest you can get is what Bill referred to... minimal/custom
install of a distribution (regardless of OS), bootstrap gcc and
binutils(?), then rebuild everything you can get source for (easier for
Linux/*BSD than for Solaris/Ultrix/HPUX/Irix/Dynix/DGUX/Tru64/OSF1/etc...)

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows