[rescue] Re: OpenVMS again

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jan 27 09:47:41 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> If you really want the whole shebang, watch on ebay. I just won a copy
> of the June 1997 Software Product Library, which is 20 CD's with
> everything DEC sold at that time. I won that auction for $50US. I'm sure
> other opportunities will come up.

I got one of those, had then-current versions of Ultrix and OpenVMS for
two platforms each I think. At the time I had five DECs (DECstations and
VAXstations that look identical) and not a CD drive among them. So for a
few days I had Ultrix 3.2 running on one of them on my /29 subnet just to
say I could.

I should find that package again, or watch ebay for another. Admittedly
I'm happy with Tru64 on my currently accessible DECs, but they're
alpha--dunno if Tru64 5.x will run on VAX :)

> Compaq wants something like a $1000 for the _media_. Then you pay for
> the license PAKs that you need. Really unless you have a real need to
> do something for commercial purposes, the hobbyist program is a much
> better option.

Eric posted about the $300 transfer--that's what I was informed of for
transferring the commercial Tru64 licenses on my Alphastation 600. I got
the Tru64 kit with hobbyist license for $100, installed it, and then
turned it off (not out of disgust with the OS--I like advfs a lot, just
for lack of room for the 21" monitor and a rapidly growing electric bill).

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows