[rescue] OpenVMS again

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Sun Jan 27 08:38:09 CST 2002

I have the hobbyist distro and a few other misc. goodies that I've
scrounged (C++, Oracle RDB, Decwrite). If you'd like, I'll burn a copy
for you. Then all you need is to get the license PAKs from
http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/

If you really want the whole shebang, watch on ebay. I just won a copy
of the June 1997 Software Product Library, which is 20 CD's with
everything DEC sold at that time. I won that auction for $50US. I'm sure
other opportunities will come up.

Compaq wants something like a $1000 for the _media_. Then you  pay for
the license PAKs that you need. Really unless you have a real need to do
something for commercial purposes, the hobbyist program is a much better
option.

Now all _I_ need to find is someone who will sell me a freaking DEC Lisp
PAK. But nobody at Compaq has a clue about discontinued DEC software.

>From: Kenneth Dunn <luser at xtra.co.nz>
>>Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Julius Sridhar wrote:

>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
>>
>> > How much would I expect to pay for a full version of OpenVMS + license ?
>> > Need not be the latest and greatest version or be licensed for 1000's
>> > of users, just something to install on my vaxstation so I can learn the
>> > ins and outs of VMS.
>>
>> Why don't you just get a hobbyist license?  The license PAK lasts for a
>> year, which should be a considerable amount of time for learning.

>I'd like to have a full version, cause that is just me.

William
--
You better watch out    What you wish for;
It better be worth it   So much to die for.