[rescue] OpenBSD

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Sun Jan 27 02:44:21 CST 2002

At 11:33 PM 26/01/2002 -0600, you wrote:

>   You can't be into OpenBSD and *not* be into its politics, because
>THAT'S WHY IT EXISTS.
Sorry Dave, I have to disagree with you there.  I am into OpenBSD 'cos it
works, does all that it claims to do, and appeals to my sense of minimalism
for a Unix server.

Yes, I've tried NetBSD but I am unimpressed when it can't even newfs a
800Mb filesystem without crashing during the install.  I'm impressed when
OpenBSD will cleanly fsck a Solaris file system when Solaris itself won't.

>Theo DeRaadt had a fight with a few other
>people in NetBSD core, got himself thrown out, and started OpenBSD out
>of spite.
Yeah, I met Theo a couple of years ago at an AUUG conference and I got a
similar impression as when I met Richard Stallman; I thought all Open
Source gurus were full of themselves 'till I met Andrew Tridgell.  Who
cares anymore about the how or why, can we just judge these people by the
fruits of their labours?

>Add a new SPARC SCSI driver, turn off everything in
>inetd.conf, label it "proactively secure" to give it some marketing
>hype, and make like it's a WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM.  Give me a
>break already!
Yeah, and Darren Reed is distributing a copy of OpenBSD with his ipfilter
code back in now, see http://openbsd30.ipfilter.org/

FWIW, Linux sucks for exactly this reason (although there are others too)
when you can put 10 Linux numptys in a room and none of them can share
anything because they all use different "distros".  Slackware, Debian,
Dead-Rat, Mandrake, Yellow Dog, ...just pick one people!

Rob.