[rescue] OpenBSD

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jan 27 01:33:18 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:15:45AM -0500, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > Ick! Ports rock. and the packages collection works very well. IMHO
>
> Am I the *only* person on here who prefers to get a base OS install,
> and then build EVERYTHING else from scratch?  When I install a Solaris

Not at all.  I do this under Solaris and IRIX (which, FSVO of "everything"
is no small feat with GCC) on my own boxen.  I don't trust binaries of
software that isn't vendor-specific, since I have no idea of knowing how
the package maintainer configured the software.  It has been my experience
(with both sunfreeware.com and freeware.sgi.com) that configurations like
to change between releases, causing stuff to break in truly odd ways.

However, I -=love=- the ports collection on work boxen because I can just
say "do it", rather than having to babysit 8 dozen dependencies,
especially with new-generation "Open source" (that is, not GNU, primarily
Linux-targeted weenie-ware) software.  Technically, it's the worst of both
worlds, as someone else has configured the software -and- I get to spend
the CPU time on compiling, but I can always RTFS to find out -what- was
changed.

This means that I toss the box in a rack, tell it what to build, and get
on with the -other- million things I have to do in a workday.

Incidentally, today is an impromptu workday (yay for dialup "routers" that
randomly forget how to do IP-forwarding).  Has anyone successfully
produced a rack-mountable distillery?

--Jonathan