[rescue] OpenBSD

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Jan 27 01:04:50 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:17:52AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Oh this one really got me.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but no, I
> don't think so.

Relax, sit back, go to littlegrayguy.com or something (yes she's cute).

>   You can't be into OpenBSD and *not* be into its politics, because
> THAT'S WHY IT EXISTS.  Theo DeRaadt had a fight with a few other
> people in NetBSD core, got himself thrown out, and started OpenBSD out
> of spite.  Add a new SPARC SCSI driver, turn off everything in
> inetd.conf, label it "proactively secure" to give it some marketing
> hype, and make like it's a WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM.  Give me a
> break already!

Hey I use OpenBSD and am not political about it.

There are/were vulnerabilities in NetBSD libraries that are not in the
equivalent OpenBSD libraries.  This would seem to support the hype.

The NetBSD guys split because they didn't want to follow the 386BSD
guys' lead, right? OK I am yanking your chain.

>   I'll be the first to applaud if they're REALLY going in new directions
> ON THEIR OWN.  But until that happens, it will always be a modified
> NetBSD distribution that exists because an [admittedly highly skilled]
> egomaniac couldn't let go of a fight.

What about pf?  Didn't the same guys who did OpenBSD do OpenSSH?
Didn't they audit and release a pretty decent version of bind4?

Dave, we love ya, even if you are using NetBSD, which is demonspawn if
ever there was! :-)

./patrick