[rescue] OpenBSD

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 26 23:17:52 CST 2002

On January 27, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> I know some folks here are too into the politics of NetBSD vs. OpenBSD and
> can't open their eyes to see the new directions that OpenBSD is pushing in
> on their own.

  Oh this one really got me.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but no, I
don't think so.

  You can't be into OpenBSD and *not* be into its politics, because
THAT'S WHY IT EXISTS.  Theo DeRaadt had a fight with a few other
people in NetBSD core, got himself thrown out, and started OpenBSD out
of spite.  Add a new SPARC SCSI driver, turn off everything in
inetd.conf, label it "proactively secure" to give it some marketing
hype, and make like it's a WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM.  Give me a
break already!

  I'll be the first to applaud if they're REALLY going in new directions
ON THEIR OWN.  But until that happens, it will always be a modified
NetBSD distribution that exists because an [admittedly highly skilled]
egomaniac couldn't let go of a fight.

   -Dave

--
Dave McGuire