[rescue] Vaxstation 4000 96

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jan 25 15:30:15 CST 2002

[ On , January 25, 2002 at 12:09:56 (-0800), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Vaxstation 4000 96
>
> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 23:57, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> > I just picked up a Vaxstation 4000 96 and 21" fixed freq monitor.
> > I'd like to know more about this machine, things like what OS is
> > best to run on it, what is that card with a funky 50 pin DB connector
> > that has 3 rows of pins (SCSI I?). What sort of RAM can I put in it.
>
> On my DEC equipment, there was a D-shell type connector with three rows
> of pins that was for the Parallel interface.  Been a while since I've
> used any DEC stuff tho.

A 50-pin DD-shell (yes, "DD") connector has been used universally across
the industry for SCSI-II narrow interfaces, though Unix people more
commonly know it as being used by Sun (probably because Sun equipment is
more common in the circles most Unix people seem to travel).

However in my copy of the "PDP-11 Systems and Options Catalog, Jan-Mar
1985" I do find two types of cables that claim to have "50-pin
D-subminiature" plugs.  They are BC80F used between a VT78 and LQP01
(one end has a 50-pin Berg connector), and also a 70-16560 which has a
40-pin Berg on the other end), and it's for an LP25 or LP26 (big
parallel printers).  The controller for an LP25 or LP25 is an LP11 or
LP1V11.  LXY12 and LXY22, which look like re-branded Printronix
printers, can also be connected to an LP11 parallel controller.

--
								Greg A. Woods