[rescue] Vaxstation 4000 96

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Jan 25 16:46:44 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:41:43PM -0500, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> So where can you get VMS install media, instructions for installing it, etc?

go to http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/ and get a set of free licenses.  also
go to http://www.process.com/openvms/hobbyist.html and get a free licnence for
MultiNet (kick ass TCP/IP stack for VMS) although you have to get your VMS
licenses first since multinet uses that license to determine that you are in
fact a hobbyist.

as far as media, you can either order a set of media from montagar or i can
put an image up for download (it's ok to do this, it's part of the coolness
of the completely kick ass hobbyist license program)

> I am feeling particularly masochistic and may wade into VMS waters.

VMS is painful to learn.  but it's a completely kick ass operating system.
make sure you have more than one machine though so you can plan with clustering
which is IMHO the best part of VMS.

if you need help feel free to ask, there are a couple part-time/newbie VMS
people on this list like myself who know a little anyway. :)

-brian