[rescue] WWII Aircraft (was RE: Boats?)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Jan 25 10:08:22 CST 2002

> > What is neat is talking to my father-in-law, who was a B-26
> > pilot in WWII.  Neat stories.
> >
>    Have you gotten him to deliver some of those stories into a tape recorder
> so that you can transcribe them?

I haven't yet.  I recently bought a camcorder, and one of the reasons
was to record both his and my mother-in-laws stories.

>    It may sound silly, but there's a lot of us doing research into
> relatives' WWII service who'd give an awful lot to hear them. (My
> grandfather for instance, served in a radio intelligence unit that
> apparently never existed, given the paucity of information available on the
> web or in print! Stories like your FIL's would be a very exciting find for
> someone in a similar situation.)

On my side of the family, we have my great-great-grandfather's
civil war diaries.  He was an officer in the Union army, and
the diaries are interesting to read.  We've all decided that
donating them to a museum or university would be the best way
to preserve them and make them available to scholars.  We've
started contacting groups to find a good home for them.  One
condition we've got, though, is that any transcriptions must
be made available for free to us, as we want to have a record
we can read without worrying about harming the diaries.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net