[rescue] Vaxstation 4000 96

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Jan 25 04:41:58 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 08:57:05PM +1300, Kenneth Dunn wrote:

> I just picked up a Vaxstation 4000 96
!!! You should know that you are now the proud owner of one of the
fastest VAXen you can put on a desk.

> I'd like to know more about this machine,
Play around with it, you will learn it. ;-)

> things like what OS is best to run on it,
You can put OpenVMS on it, that is the OS that this machine was made for.
But I tend to expand VMS to Very Much Strange. I am afraid, that I never
will get "warm" with this "strange", but _very_ powerfull OS.
And ``Of course it runs NetBSD.'' if you like a *ix environment.
Unfortunately NetBSD does not support the graphics hardware, even
no text mode console on the local display. You have to use serial
console via this strange MMJ port...

> what is that card with a funky 50 pin DB connector
> that has 3 rows of pins (SCSI I?).
The SCSI Port is the 50 pin centronics connector, top left corner if
you look at the back.

> What sort of RAM can I put in it.
VAXstation 4000 RAM, total proprietary. There are 4MB and 16 SIMMs.
You have to put them in chunks of 4 into the machine.

> If anyone in NZ or Australia as a keyboard that works with one of these
> for sale please email me.
You can use an ordinary LK201 or LK402 from a DEC VTxxx terminal.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen