[rescue] Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

Steve Pacenka sp17 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 24 21:26:10 CST 2002

wlewis at mailbag.com said:
> I'm looking at getting a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 10/
> 100  switched ports. CompUSA has them for $79.99 after rebate. I'm
> just looking to  share my DSL line with my Sun Blade 100, Vaxstation
> 4000/90, an IBM TP750 and  (down the road) add my wife's air port base
> station (once we can get her the  iBook she wants). Or could I hang a
> small 10baseT hub off of one of the ports  and hang all the older
> machines off that?

I use a Netgear box that is very similar to this one (hub instead of switch),
between a DSL line and a home lan.  It works great.  On the lan side Solaris
8, Mac OS, Windows 95+98, WinCE, and sparc+ppc+x86 Linux boxes have all
successfully talked out and to one another using this little box.  I have at
times appended a netgear switch and a linksys switch to get extra lines in
remote corners.  10 and 100 devices both work and the 100 devices get
recognized at their higher speed.

That netgear paid for itself immediately by taking over DHCP, NAT, and PPPoE
duties I was running on an x86 box.

Go for it!

-- SP