[rescue] Boats?

Joshua Johnston flagg at midmaine.com
Thu Jan 24 16:42:44 CST 2002

I remember a number of years ago when I was researching the cold war era
in Bangor, Maine.  I went down to the city records office and scoped out
the building permit applications for 55-70 and looked for any
information I could on bomb shelters.  Being a small city at the edge of
civilization, I was only able to find two records that looked like they
were bomb shelters.  One turned out to be a "bulkhead" in the basement
of a local church, and the other was a bona-fide bomb shelter at a radio
station owned by Stephen King.  Unfortunately, they'd taken the shelter
out about five years before my research, because I'd wanted to see if I
could get into one and scope it out for a website.

I also remember finding a Civil Defense manual from '69-'70 or so for
the Bangor area, with maps of shelters around town and other statistics
for the city.  It was quite nice, but belonged to the city archives so I
wasn't able to keep it.  My father, a book collector at the time, had a
city infrastructure handbook from that era that was pretty cool in
itself, with maps of the airport and planned expansions that seemed to
have about a 80-20 implementation record, in favor.

You can get a lot of public records quite easily, just by being polite.
Though I'm sure if you asked to look that stuff over now, you'd get a
cavity search first. Ow.

- Josh