[rescue] Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jan 24 15:22:35 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:54:28PM +0000, wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:
> I'm looking at getting a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 10/100
> switched ports. CompUSA has them for $79.99 after rebate. I'm just looking to
> share my DSL line with my Sun Blade 100, Vaxstation 4000/90, an IBM TP750 and
> (down the road) add my wife's air port base station (once we can get her the
> iBook she wants). Or could I hang a small 10baseT hub off of one of the ports
> and hang all the older machines off that?
> Anyone got experiances? Good? Bad? Indifferent? The price is about as high as I
> can swing right now.

You can hang hubs/switches off them with no problem.  I had the 1-port
version that I plugged into an uplink port on a Cisco switch that was
connected to the rest of my network, and it worked fine.

I prefer the NetGear stuff (I have a RT314) over the Linksys (I had tons
of problems with the Linksys, and none at all with the Netgear), but
others mileage varies.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford