[rescue] SLACKERS

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 24 08:05:33 CST 2002

> You don't consider the V10 a big block, or do you mean a big block
> Hemi?  If I recall correctly the new Hemi is closer to the size of the
> Hemis of the 50's rather than the 426.  I'd take the Diesel myself :-)
> I want my next truck to sound and pull like a train :-)

Oh no, the V10 is big-block.  Or, at least according to commonly
accepted criteria.  I think 8 liters qualifies as big-block.  I mean a
big-block Hemi.  The current production Hemi is a 353ci V8 that puts out
~350hp and ~390lb-ft.  It's muscular, but the V10 puts out ~310hp and
~450lb-ft, making it a little better suited to towing, hauling, and
low-RPM ranges.

You bring up a good point about the Diesel engines too.  The HO Cummins
puts out 245hp and 505lb-ft.  Talk about power!  That's a stock engine
too - it's very common to smokers with 700hp and 1000lb-ft with
relatively minor mofications.  Talk about train!

There's talk of a big-block Hemi, but I haven't read anything definitive
yet.  It's an on-again-off-again thing within Daimler-Chrysler these
days.

It's going to boil down to availability I think, I want as much hauling
and towing power that I can get.  The Cummins TD is the obvious choice,
but theres something to be said have *10* cylinders under the hood.  Big
hairy man-points, that ;)

Kurt