[rescue] SLACKERS

Eric Johnson eric_j at oasis.novia.net
Thu Jan 24 07:56:57 CST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> A normal 4 lane highway that has light traffic at 65-70mph will
> suddenly get congested when a cop appears and everyone drops down to
> 55mph.  I usually go 60mph exactly and pass the glorified meter maid,
> then get in front of an 18-wheeler and punch it.

Around here, it also seems that nobody knows what the speed limits are.
While on the interstate in town, the limit is 60, I drive 65 and everybody
passes me (doing around 70). We get out into the country and the speed
limit increases to 75. I move up to 80 and then I pass everybody (who still
appear to be doing 70). If a cop appears, I drop down to 75 and most of the
other cars drop down to 55-60. It's a really odd thing. You would think that
the big white signs with the black squiggly things (that look like '75')
would be a guide in choosing speed.

-- Eric Johnson

"... man will occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but usually manages to pick himself up,
    walk over or around it, and carry on"
    -- Winston Churchill