[rescue] Ancient UNIX licenses!

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jan 23 19:42:17 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, January 23, 2002 at 19:16:42 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] Ancient UNIX licenses!
>
> This *really* kicks ass:
>
> http://www.sunhelp.org/ancient-source.pdf

Very cool indeed....  I have been waiting a couple of years for this to
happen (ever since getting the free, but not redistributable, copies of
the source)!

Now I can finally get some real Unix into my systems again!  :-)

But Hmmm.... I wonder why the UNIX System III source wasn't "upgraded"
to this new license.  Except for a wee bit of kernel code, and some odds
and sods of user utilities, like SCCS, and of course a whole bunch of
bug fixes, it's pretty much identical to a 32V -- especially in terms of
what a copyright license can protect.  Bummer, because SCCS was one of
the things I wanted to use freely again.

I guess we'll have to wait a while before System V Release 4.2 is even
freely available, let alone freely redistributable....  :-(

I wonder if they'll ever get access to any of the later Research UNIX
releases....  I'd love to have all of V10 be freely redistributable!

--
								Greg A. Woods