[rescue] SLACKERS

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 23 01:34:51 CST 2002

On 22 Jan 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> > Actually the PS2 has 2 MIPS processors, a R3000 for I/O and PS1 emulation
>
> Hmm, how do they accomplish cool stuff for the PSone emulation if
> they're using a similar chip?  Is it just clocked much faster or what?
> I've been told that running PSone games on the PStwo effectively
> "doubles" the resolution, or some graphics spiffy thing like that.
> 	Greg

Well, as far as I was told by some friend at sony they use the R3000 as
some sort of IO processor in PS2 mode, when the machine is in PS1 mode it
uses that processor to run the PS1 code. So basically you can think of it
as a PS1 inside a PS2. Which makes sense since many PS1 games had to be
handcoded due to the HW limitations (mem/gfx, etc)... so a soft emulation
might have broken things.

Resolution is pretty much fixed at NTSC ranges, so I doubt that PS1 games
see any improvement, since they were also coded for NTSC/PAL resolutions.
Maybe it might do something with the interlacing, but I doubt it. These
machines are designed for use with TV sets, not computer monitors. So the
resolution ranges are pretty much fixed, unless the machine also supports
HDTV...