[rescue] SLACKERS

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Jan 22 12:32:06 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 02:42, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> Spencer Low Racing 3" lift kit.  oh yeah baby.  little pricey though,
> gonna have to wait a while on this one.  this thing makes the Xterra
> look "right" though.  also increases the ground clearance to over a foot
> with 32" tires..  swank.

Ok, i have a (perhaps stupid) question.  (but it's better to ask a
stupid question than to remain stupid by not knowing the answer.)

Do larger tires affect the accuracy of the speedometer?  If not, how
does the speedometer on most cars determine speed?  It would make most
sense to me to have it judge the RPM of the axle, and determine speed
from that, but, if the circumference of the wheel changed, the
speedometer would be inaccurate.  So, do you have to adjust the
speedometer if you put on larger tires, does the speedometer gague speed
a different way, or is the change in circumference of the tire not
usually big enough to make a difference?

	-Dan Sikorski