low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue Jan 22 11:32:53 CST 2002

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 11:50 am, you wrote:
> On January 22, Big Endian wrote:
> > >   Sridhar's never powered up his Onyx and he's already lookin' for an
> > >Onyx2. ;)
> >
> > The only reason I would get an onyx at this point is to combine the
> > Challenge L and the Crimson into one box.  This would require a Rack
> > Onyx.  I have *NO* room for a rack onyx nor do I have the three phase
> > tap in my 1br apartment.  For now I'm quite glad to have the L and
> > three Crimson RE's on tap(one at my place, two at a friends).
>
>   An Onyx Rack system doesn't require 3-phase...just a standard 220V
> two-hot-one-neutral circuit.  Nearly all houses in the US can support
> that.

Yep, and if you're tricky, you can get it from two 110 sockets (find two
outlets on opposing phases and run a cord to each of them from a junction box
with a 220V outlet mounted in it. just tie the commons and grounds together
inside the junction box.  (and make _SURE_ that you know just what you're
doing if you try this)

And make sure that the load isn't going to blow _just_one_ of the breakers...

George