low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Mon Jan 21 19:02:04 CST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, David Passmore wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 06:31:00PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> > Um... IE generally got spanked by Netscape until the 4.x verions
> > (on both sides).
>
> Hence my comment that IE didn't start out as superior to Netscape, but it
> ended up that way.

imo, ie ended up in the same boat as netscape. i finally (and it took awhile)
dumped netscape in favor of ie when i had no other option due to netscape
constantly crashing. maybe a year ago, time-wise. well, now ie is crashing
7-8 times (if not more) daily.

as we all know, microsoft makes mediocre products for a mediocre populace
because they know we're ignorant enough to not complain too much. consumers
are too polite and MS takes advantage of it--its a very odd but profitable
business strategy when the guys down in marketing figure out that their
software doesnt have to be anywhere near close to being perfect (or usable)
to sell. it saves a lot of money and time (especially when it comes to
releasing a new product).

> Sure, Microsoft has deep pockets now, but that wasn't always the fact. How
> did they crush other companies before they had billions of dollars? Pretty
> much the way they do now.

their products werent superior..they were just more easy to get and more
visible. consumers are lazy, remember?

> They have never played by the rules; they stretch the system as much as
> they can before it breaks.

whose rules are these?

--a