low-end octane2? (was: Re: [rescue] octane question)

Joshua Johnston flagg at midmaine.com
Mon Jan 21 16:47:59 CST 2002

You guys make me sick.

I've seen people talking about dozens, even hundreds of machines that
they own.  That's disgusting! It's frightening!

Where can I get some?
</sarcasm>

It's only been within the past six months or so that I've started trying
to actively collect hardware other than my x86 upgrade leftovers.  So
far I've got six architectures and climbing, but what I'd really like to
do is figure out some kind of method for calculating the aggregate
computing power available in my collection.  And yes, I do think I have
more computing capacity than my entire block.

Has anyone here ever found a source with information on the MIPS
calculating power of systems from the Apple II era right on up to the
latest processors?

I used to count my total power capacity in Megahertz, but that's
completely inaccurate.  2480Mhz doesn't even sound impressive anymore
like it used to. Sigh.